Monday, September 10, 2018

Student comes out of her shell through sorority


By Sandra Sadek
sandrasadek@txstate.edu

Paola Bakker, advertising junior
 Photo by Sandra Sadek
When introverted Paola Bakker transferred her sophomore year to Texas State, she never thought she would meet her closest friends by joining a sorority. 

An advertising junior, Bakker spends much of her time involved in her sorority, Gamma Phi Beta outside of class, despite the negative view the media gave her of sorority life.

“(I didn’t think I would join a sorority because of) the stereotype of a sorority girl and I didn’t want to have friends that were mean because that’s kind of what the media tells you they’re like, which I don’t agree with,” Bakker said. “There’s mean people everywhere but I’ve found really amazing people (in the organization).”

Since joining her sorority, Bakker’s perception of these organizations changed, allowing her to make lifelong connections and meet some of her closest friends.

“Before, I thought it was a lot more like a clique than it actually is and I kind of felt that way a little bit my first year in it because I didn’t get super involved,” Bakker said. “But now I’m actually involved, everyone is super open and just wants to get to know everyone, be friends. It’s really cool to have an automatic support system in college because college can be hard.”

Bakker said joining Gamma Phi Beta has brought her out of her shell in a way she never thought possible. When she is not busy with sorority responsibilities, she enjoys going to the movies, eating out and hanging out with friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.