By Christian Godinez and Olivia Chuber
cdg128@txstate.edu, omc14@txstate.edu
Samantha Lopez
Age: 18
Major: Computer Science
Class: Freshman
Hometown: Houston, TX
1) What is DACA?
- "DACA is the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals."
2) How do you feel about it?
- "I feel like it's a really great program because, you know, the kids who are brought here, they don't know they're being brought here. They don't know any of the stuff about that, so I feel like it's good to have them be treated as a normal citizen as being born here cause all they know is the U.S."
3) Why do you feel that way?
- "Because my brother, he's a DACA recipient for about two to three years and it's helped him to get into college and to start taking classes and to start his career."
4) How have you been affected by DACA?
- "I know how it works firsthand and the frustration of having to send in stuff, send in forms and wait for it to get processed. It's a very long process."
5) If you were in charge, how would you fix DACA?
- "If there was a faster way to get through the paperwork, it would be better."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hunter Lewin
Age: 21
Major: Psychology
Class: Senior
Hometown: Round Rock, TX
1) What is DACA?
- "DACA is an acronym for a political law that deals with immigrants or people that are not born in America."
2) How do you feel about it?
- "I think it's really cool. Giving them a legal opportunity to come and work, given the opportunity, I believe we can openly share our resources with people that are not of this country and I think that's a better way than just saying no and people are gonna come either way, so we should at least give them the opportunity to."
3) Why do you feel that way?
- "I think just because taking one radical stance, either way, where you say 'kick them out' or 'we should let everyone in,' both of them are wrong, but I think giving them the opportunity, it's basically like giving them a Visa and I don't see anything wrong with that."
4) How have you been affected by DACA?
- "I personally have not, but I've had friends that have been a part of families that have been affected by it."
5) If you were in charge, how would you fix DACA?
- "I mean I'm no politician, but I think we could have more documentation, more person-centered planning where we could focus on more job opportunities."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sarah Halmon
Age: 20
Major: Communication Design
Class: Junior
Hometown: Austin, TX
1) What is DACA?
- "I think it stands for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals."
2) How do you feel about it?
- "It's great, it's an opportunity for children and young adults that they wouldn't normally get otherwise."
3) Why do you feel that way?
- "Because growing up here I've had a lot of opportunities. I believe it should be fair and equal for those from other countries."
4) How have you been affected by DACA?
- "I haven't much, just learning more about it, really."
5) If you were in charge, how would you fix DACA?
- "I don't really know if there's anything to fix about it. It's a good program."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ngozi Nwachukw
Age: 19
Major: Microbiology
Class: Freshman
Hometown: Houston, TX
1) What is DACA?
- "It's a program that helps keep immigrants from deportation."
2) How do you feel about it?
- "We shouldn't deport people who deserve to be here. That's how I feel."
3) Why do you feel that way?
- "I feel like everyone deserves a chance to make a better life for themselves, especially since my parents are from another country."
4) How have you been affected by DACA?
- "This girl in my class was undocumented and was a recipient."
5) If you were in charge, how would you fix DACA?
- "I would fix the process. It shouldn't taken as as long as it does. I feel like they target minority countries like Mexico and Africa, but if it was a European person, it would probably be easier for them to come over here."




No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.