Thursday, March 22, 2018

Diverse Sources Interviews - DACA

By Haley Jayroe and Chelsea Billings
haj12@txstate.edu, clb264@txstate.edu

Elizabeth Aguirre
Age: 24
Class: Senior
Major: Psychology

Hometown: El Paso, Texas

1)     What is DACA?
"Program that allows illegal immigrant’s children to live here go to school and live their life and buy property. Trump is trying to end it though."
2)     How do you feel about it?
"I like it, I’m for it. Pro-DACA."
3)     Why do you feel that way?
"I'm for social rights and equality for everybody. I think this is a great program to allow people to have a better life in America."
4)     How have you been affected by DACA?
"I haven’t been personally, but it is troubling for some people."
5)     If you were in charge how would you fix DACA?
"I would make them legal citizens."

Crosby Figg
Age: 21
Class: Junior
Major: Construction Science
Hometown: Artesia, New Mexico

1)     What is DACA?
"Stands for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. It allows children who have migrated to the U.S. and who were young enough to be innocent of any charges to stay in the U.S. as citizens and not be deported back in to their native country."
2)     How do you feel about it?
"It is a great program for people to live their lives as U.S. citizens and not be bothered by actions that were taken when they were too young to do anything about."
3)     Why do you feel that way?
"Everyone should have a chance to live a life that they desire."
4)     How have you been affected by DACA?
"I haven't personally been affected but I have known some people who have been protected by DACA"
5)     If you were in charge how would you fix DACA?
"I would let it stay in place and keep protecting the illegal immigrants so they can live in the U.S. and live the American dream."

Madison Elliott
Age: 22
Class: Senior
Major: Public Relations
Hometown: Houston, Texas

  1) What is DACA?
“It stands for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. I actually learned about it in my government class last semester. It’s a program implemented by Obama in 2012 to allow children who were here illegally due to their parents, to be able to stay under certain circumstances and qualifications.”
2)     How do you feel about it?
"Personally, I feel like I guess it could be a good thing depending on the situation, but I think it could get messy. I do believe that people should come into America legally. When you start creating acceptations for certain individuals, it could cause issues."
3)     Why do you feel that way?
"While I don’t like to get too deep into politics, I do consider myself to be a little more conservative and I believe that it’s the just thing to acquire citizenship to be in America the legal and right way."
4)     How have you been affected by DACA?
"No I have not."
5)     If you were in charge, how would you fix DACA?
"I would get rid of it. I think people need to come here the right way. I think it’s wrong that they are given this leeway to be in America and live the American dream without following the legal procedures to be here. There are about 800,000 people that take advantage of this program. What’s the point of having immigration laws when there’s a program that lets them be here anyways?"

Jacob Korte
Age: 22
Class: Junior
Major: General Studies
Hometown: Cypress, Texas

1)     What is DACA?
"DACA is a program that lets immigrants be here illegally."
2)     How do you feel about it?
"I think it’s pretty messed up honestly. I don’t think that there should be a program like this that goes against our immigration laws. I think it’s a little backwards."
3)     Why do you feel that way?
"Because there are laws in place to keep illegal immigrants out of America, but then there’s this program that let’s them stay here and work even though they know they’re not here illegally. I don’t know it really doesn’t make much sense to me I think it’s a little unnecessary."
4)     How have you been affected by DACA?
"I haven’t been affected but I have actually met someone who was a part of this program."
5)     If you were in charge, how would you fix DACA?
"I think I would get rid of this program. In my eyes I think it’s unconstitutional. Not to offend anyone or anything but it’s just not something I believe in."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.