Wednesday, October 17, 2018

People discuss Colin Kaepernick and the NFL

By Paola Bakker
p_b133@txstate.edu

Maki Tachana is fashion merchandising major from San Antonio, Texas.

1. What do you know about the Colin Kaepernick situation?
"I believe he got kicked out of the NFL because he was kneeling and taking a stance against racism, and he recently became the face of Nike and people were outraged and burning their stuff, but Nike actually went up 30% or so in sales, so it was a good business move."

2. How do you feel about the issue?
"I didn't see why it was a big deal, I never understood that. Like there's a little handbook saying "Don't wear the flag," but people are over here wearing speedos with the flag, so I'm just thinking, "You think that's more disrespectful than kneeling?" To me it just didn't make sense. It's not disrespectful, so I just didn't see why it was a big deal."

3. How do you feel about the approach that the players took by kneeling?
"I think it was a good stance. They were trying to get a point across."

4. How do you feel about the NFL's response?
"I think it was stupid. How are you going to get mad at players for kneeling for a cause, yet during Breast Cancer Month, they wear pink. How can you get mad for supporting a cause? I think just because the specific cause is towards their race, they got mad about it.:

5. How would you handle the situation?
"I'd kneel. If I was a player, I would still kneel. You can cut me off, but those guys make millions, like they're set for life. They have endorsement deals, like look at Kaepernick, he kneeled, got kicked off, and he's still making millions from Nike."


Diane Cunningham is a retired law enforcement worker from Chicago, Illinois. 

1. What do you know about the situation surrounding Colin Kaepernick?
"I know that he and the other players knelt for a reason and that reason is the mistreatment of black males in the inner city, their arrests and just their lifestyles."

2. How do you feel about the issue?
"It doesn't bother me, that's why we have the Constitution. It's not like it's a Nazi kneeling for their cause."

3. How do you feel about the kneeling?
"He isn't hurting anyone, it's a peaceful form of protest. I don't understand why people are so offended over it." 

4. How do you feel about the NFL's approach?
"I think it's wrong and against the Constitution. They have a right, and they aren't hurting anyone. It has nothing to do with the military or anything going on overseas, it's about black culture."

5. How would you handle the situation?
"If I were the NFL, I would let them do it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.