irs21@txstate.edu
The topic of the National Anthem protest is an issue that is
controversial but Texas State students were willing to give their input.
Giovanni Buevo, 22
1.
Do you know about the National Anthem protest
issue?
“Yes”
2.
Describe what you think the NFL kneeling
situation is
“Kaepernick is kneeling due to a lot of the
racial discrimination from police towards African Americans”
3.
How do you feel about the approach he
(Kaepernick) took?
“Honestly I don’t think it serves really anything.
I don’t disapprove. He can do whatever he wants because this is a free country,
people have the right to do whatever they want, but personally I don’t think it’s
going to really make any difference. All its done is antagonize the United
States more between the majority of white people that watch the NFL as been demonstrated
by the ratings”
4.
How do you feel about the NFL’s approach?
“I think its dumb. Let them (the players)
do what they want to do”
5.
How would you have handled the situation?
“If I was an executive, I feel people tend
to value freedom of speech, the onslaught of political correctness I think it’s
an issue that people generally disapprove of it so when you decide “I don’t like
this political opinion so I’m going to decide these people can’t say something”
you’re putting yourself in that camp of people that “I can’t listen to people
that disagree with me. If I was Kaepernick I feel like I would try to use my
money and my platform to help whatever issue even though I don’t necessarily
agree to the extent with the issue. I do think there is an issue with police
brutality but I think the racial lines have been exploited more so than
necessary”
Lucas Caton, 20
1.
Do you know about the National Anthem protest
issue?
“Yes but not much”
2.
Describe what you think the NFL kneeling
situation is.
“He was kneeling during the National
Anthem. That’s all I know”
3.
How do you feel about the approach he took?
“That’s his own opinion. I mean, he’s entitled
to it. I don’t mind. There are consequences for maybe sponsorships but I
personally don’t have a problem with it.”
4.
How do you feel about the NFL’s approach?
“It’s in their power to do that, but I don’t
feel it was necessary. It doesn’t really bother me and they’re just voicing their
own opinions granted the NFL is the one presenting them I guess they do have
control over the medium. Since I don’t watch football that often, it doesn’t affect
me too much”
5.
How would you have handled the situation?
“I would have stood my ground and known to
voice my opinion. He made a statement with it and he stood by it so I respect
that. I don’t necessarily agree with it but I respect that he stood by his
belief. As an NFL exec I would try to advocate for the first amendment but at
the same time they’re more concerned with profit margins so they were probably
more focused on sponsorships being dropped so I would like to say that I would
have supported Kaepernick but at the same time if my job was on the line I
probably would have chosen more censorship action”
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.