Source: Demarcus Chatman
Students reflect on NFL & Kaepernick
Demarcus Chatman, Junior, From Houston, Texas, Student, private military, criminal justice major
Describe the issue at hand AKA the kneeling issue in the NFL- Demarcus said Kaepernick used his position on the NFL team, The San Francisco 49ers, to protest civil rights by kneeling during the national anthem. “This deterred him from his football career because most NFL owners and teams refuse to pick him up.”
Question 2: How do You feel about the situation- AKA the kneeling?
“there
are better ways for him to use his platform if he really wants to be an
effective leader on civil rights issues.”
But he does agree that more athletes should be
involved with political issues and voicing their opinions on important topics. “I
am private military so the kneeling thing kind of contradicts... but overall we
are all individuals and if that is the way he decides to promote it... As long
as he took a stance for something right I am with it either way.
Question 3:
How do you feel about the NFL’s response?
“I think the NFL handled it very bad and the situation is getting worse. The idea is to promote using their platform based on their status as NFL players. They cant just silence players"
Question 4:
How would you have handled the situation?
“would I sacrifice my career for my political stance? No. so I wouldn’t do the whole kneeling portion of it, but I think being an activist, promoting and doing interviews and talking about it openly to the public would be my stance- rather than actually going against the flag and the National Anthem

Raul Sifuentes, Junior, 18-24, South Texas, Pre-Med major, full-time-student
Question 1: What do you know about the situation?
“Kaepernick started kneeling down to help out the blacks and create
awareness for what Is happening out on the streets with police and police
brutality around the nation
Question 2:
How do you feel about Kaepernick's approach?
“this nation is a place where you can express yourself however
you please. So, I think it is fair for him to do what he is doing and he should
not be taking so much discrimination for what he is doing. It is fair and
important for him to spread awareness about what is happening in the United States”
Question 4: How do you feel about the NFL Response?
"I do not like how the NFL was fining people for kneeling or
protesting during the national anthem. That goes against the constitution. I
know there were some owners who were supportive of their players kneeling so it
was still going on after Kaepernick left the league, but they aren’t allowed to do
that anymore."
Question 5: How would you handle the situation?
“If I was a player I would follow the rules and stay silent
because my future and career are on the line.”
If you worked for the league?
“Well it’s a business and apparently their money is going
down because of the kneeling situation. So from a business standpoint, they are
going to do what they have to do to continue to appeal to their audience”. He
said if he were in charge he would allow players to do as they please. “did
anybody ever consider that the ratings were going down because of how the NFL responded
poorly- not because of the kneeling itself?”

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.