![]() |
| Habegger believes people should be more educated about the purpose behind Kaepernick's protests. Photo by Halle Hendry. |
1.) Do
you know about the Kaepernick controversy with the NFL?
“Yes.”
2.) Can
you describe it as you best understand it?
“The NFL player
took a knee during the national anthem in order to protest the current racial
issues in the United States, but his act was perceived very differently by a
lot of different people. I think that’s how the controversy
came about, how it might be disrespectful and be seen as acting against
veterans somehow.”
3.) How
do you feel about kneeling?
Habegger sympathized with the kneeling players on the
polarizing situation. She said that when outraged NFL fans burned Nike apparel
in response to a Kaepernick commercial, they were reacting without understanding
the purpose behind the protest.
“I think it’s
ridiculous. I think there are a lot of misunderstandings about the
reasons behind it is what caused it, so I think if you think he’s disrespecting
veterans then you might be upset, but he’s said himself, [and]… even veterans
themselves have taken a knee in certain situations and said that’s not what it’s
about. I feel like people need to educate themselves a little more before going
to extremes, like burning Nike [products].”
4.) How
do you feel about the NFL’s response?
“The NFL kind
of looked down upon [the protests]. I guess they were in line
with our president, so they felt like they were doing what was right in taking
responsibility for their player disrespecting the flag, but I also feel like
the NFL doesn’t control every aspect of player’s lives. It’s a job, and your
employer doesn’t control you 100 percent, so I don’t agree with their reaction.”
5.) How
would you handle the situation?
“If I was a part of the NFL, I’d probably make
a statement… about neutrality on the whole situation, and give the different
sides. [I’d say] there shouldn’t be any outrage over it…and I’d
try to deescalate the situation as much as I could.”
![]() |
| Nelson would participate in the national anthem protests if he was an NFL player. Photo by Halle Hendry. |
1.)Do you know about the Kaepernick controversy with
the NFL?
“Yes, I do.”
2.) Can
you describe it as you best understand it?
“I feel like it’s
his right to be able to [kneel], but people don’t like it because they feel
like he’s disrespecting his country.”
3.) How
do you feel about kneeling?
“I don’t think
he’s disrespecting [the flag]. I think it’s his choice and it’s
just fine if he does it because it’s his right. People shouldn’t judge him
based on that…and he should be able to protest and not face the repercussions
he did.”
4.) How
do you feel about the NFL’s response?
“I don’t think
the NFL handled it the way it should’ve been handled. I think
that they should have supported him more with what he was doing instead of the
other way around.”
5.) How
would you handle the situation?
“If I was a player, I would probably be kneeling too.”


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.