Wednesday, October 17, 2018

San Marcos locals react to NFL kneeling

By Sandra Sadek
sandrasadek@txstate.edu

Jaime Bouzard, campus minister and University College faculty

Photo by Sandra Sadek
1. Can you describe what happened with players kneeling during the national anthem?

"Players are kneeling rather than standing during the anthem to point out that ideals in the anthem aren't in favor of African Americans and that men are dying at the hand of the police."

2. How do you feel about the approach Kaepernick took?

"I think his approach is courageous, appropriate and profoundly American" 

3. How do you feel about the NFL's response?

"I think their response is cowardly, shortsighted and greedy. It's fueled by capitalist greed and an absence of social justice."

4. How would you handle this situation?

"I would have respected the expression made by the player. There's no need to threaten a fine." 


Brian Causey, biology freshman
Photo by Sandra Sadek

1. Can you describe what happened with players kneeling during the national anthem?

"It's a form of protest against the U.S."

2. How do you feel about the approach Kaepernick took?

"I like his approach. I know the Constitution wants us to protest, but people are still angry about it. I don't know why."

3. How do you feel about the NFL's response?

"I think the response is wrong. It's violating our rights."

4. How would you handle this situation?

"I would still kneel." 



Reagan Brown, international studies freshman
Photo by Sandra Sadek

1. Can you describe what happened with players kneeling during the national anthem?

"He's kneeling to make a statement against police brutality. He's got a lot of recognition so he's using his platform to make a statement." 

2. How do you feel about the approach Kaepernick took?

"I like that he's using his platform to show he doesn't agree with the treatment of people of color."

3. How do you feel about the NFL's response?

"I think it's mean and unconstitutional. Everyone has the right to say their opinion. They can't tell us we are not allowed to protest or kneel."

4. How would you handle this situation?

"I would continue kneeling. I also like his partnership with Nike." 

Sean Skinner, criminal justice sophomore

1. Can you describe what happened with players kneeling during the national anthem?

"It started out as a protest against the infringement of African American rights but now it's used for more than the original intent."

2. How do you feel about the approach Kaepernick took?

"As a veteran, I personally believe it's wrong and disrespectful towards the flag and the anthem." 

3. How do you feel about the NFL's response?

"I'm fine with the NFL's answer. Like Jarry Jones said 'you've gotta stand if you're on my team.' It's not a time to protest at your job. Playing for the NFL is your job."

4. How would you handle this situation?

"You have the right to protest but it's your job first and foremost."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.